Home   Recipes   Tips   About & Contact  

we're just getting started, follow us on a delicious journey!

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Meatloaf--no leftover style


I have vacillated back and forth as to whether I wanted to post my meatloaf recipe.  It's not like I want to keep it a secret...
Quite simply it is because I did not want to photograph meatloaf!  There you have it.  You must admit that a slab of meat on a plate just might not be as photogenic as say....a cheesecake or bacon wrapped asparagus spears.
The long and short of it is that I make meatloaf at least once a month.  It's a family favorite and every time my family starts putting "dibbs" on the leftovers for their sandwich the next day I tell myself that I might be able to airbrush the meatloaf and make it look as good as it is.   Tonight I decided that the cute little loaded potatoes and creamed peas took some of the pressure off of the meatloaf and that I might be able to document the meatloaf recipe after all.  Don't judge the photo until you have tasted the meatloaf.

Meatloaf   by Sweet Suppertime

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2 pounds lean ground beef (break into chunks)
2 eggs beaten
1 onion chopped
1 1/3 cups bread crumbs
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley or 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup Buffalo Wing Sauce (or barbecue sauce or if you are out of everything mix 1/3 cup ketchup with 1 TB specialty type mustard)

In a large bowl combine beaten eggs with ground beef and mix with hands or by spoon until well blended.  Add onion, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic powder, salt, pepper and buffalo sauce and mix well.  I like doing this with my hands, it just feels like I get everything worked around nice and evenly.
Place in an ungreased bread pan.  I bake mine in a bread pan my mother gave me and when I measured it at the bottom it was 9 inches long and six inches wide.
After I pat the meatloaf into the pan I like to make a little bit of a well in the middle with my fingers, just so the meat is at it's shallowest point in the middle.  Somehow I think it cooks better and more evenly this way.

Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350 or until desired doneness.  Bake the first 30 minutes under foil and remove the foil for the last 45 minutes.  During the last 15 minutes of baking I like to drizzle additional Sweet Buffalo Wing Sauce over the top, about a 1/4 cup in total.  I have been known to add sliced mushrooms as well:)

Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before inverting to a platter.  Slice and serve!  If there are leftovers, consider meatloaf sandwiches for lunch tomorrow.  It's one of my kids' favorite lunches.













No comments:

Post a Comment