Home   Recipes   Tips   About & Contact  

we're just getting started, follow us on a delicious journey!

Monday, April 15, 2013

Chocolate Cupcakes




What is it about cupcakes?  I think that is has something to do with the cake to frosting ratio.  That and the fact that they are your own personal reminder of childhood birthday parties, filled with games, pinatas and  being friends with everyone in the class.  Cupcakes are fun to make, fun to frost, fun to sprinkle,and fun to eat.
My husband has issues with most cupcakes for that very reason; they are usually adorable but not incredibly tasty.  I guess I made it my personal quest to give him a cupcake that was worthy of being called a cupcake--that handheld cake of deliciousness.  I started with a solid batter that doesn't pull apart when you take the liner off and then I filled it with creme and topped it with a variety of favorite frosting's   He capitulated!  For a man who watches his sugar intake I watched him sneak behind my back for seconds and thirds.  Victory is sweet.
This recipe is good without the filling and is delicious with any kind of frosting.  The clear favorite at my house was the peanut butter frosting.




**There are a couple of things I'd like to point out about how I do cupcakes.  I use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to fill the cupcake pan.  It fills it to about where I would like it which is about 2/3 full.  This puts a nice top on the cupcake when it bakes.
Another thing is that when I fill the decorating bag I always need extra hands so i fold the bag over a cup.  In this case I am using a large decorating bag so I used a really big cup.  It just lets me drop the frosting down without much mess.
May I add one more note?  I don't always swirl and sprinkle!  There are plenty of cupcakes inhaled at my house frosted the traditional way; with a butter knife.....







Chocolate Cupcakes  by Sweet Suppertime adapted from Taste of Home Magazine 
Pre-heat oven to 350 and prepare cupcake pans

3 1/4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 cup water
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 eggs
1 cup oil
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine sugar with oil and eggs and beat until fluffy.  After this I don't really pay too much attention.  I just start adding the rest of the ingredients beating well and scraping down the sides so that I have a nice smooth batter.  Fill cupcake pans with each cup being about 2/3 full.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Don't over bake.


Cupcake Filling by Sweet Suppertime

1/3 cup butter
3 tablespoons shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
After the cupcakes are baked, it's time to fill them!  Let them cool first, of course.
( to get this piped inside I cut an X with a sharp knife in the bottom of the cupcake liner and pipe it in with a decorating bag using the wide circle tip)  You don't need much, just about a tablespoon.  The consistency for this should be a lot like frosting just a bit fluffier.  If you need more body, add shortening one tablespoon at a time and beat well.

Peanut Butter Frosting by Sweet Suppertime

5 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
aprx 1/3 cups milk--or enough to create the consistency you desire

Mix until creamy, frost with a knife or put it in a cake decorating bag and swirl it up!




No comments:

Post a Comment