Home   Recipes   Tips   About & Contact  

we're just getting started, follow us on a delicious journey!

Friday, December 28, 2012

Tuscan Zuppa

Today was a unique day for me.  Today I helped with a family luncheon after the funeral of the father of a friend of mine.  It was a cold, blustery day and I was glad that the weather abated for just a few hours after the funeral for the interment.  The family gathered at our church after the burial and the good women of our neighborhood brought warm comforting soup and rolls to the church so that the family could sit together and celebrate the life of someone they loved.  It was a day that I spent thinking about life and the people that I love so much.  Center to that list is my own father who I am lucky enough to call "daddy".  So today we whipped up one of our own favorite soups for supper and I found myself wishing I could share a bowl with my own father.  I'm doing the next best thing and posting the recipe for him.  It's a bit spicy so adjust it to your own likes...and share it with someone you love.






Tuscan Zuppa  Sweet Suppertime

1 pound spicy Italian sausage (scrambled)
1 pound hamburger (scrambled)
4-5 stalks chopped celery
1 red bell pepper sliced or chopped
1 yellow bell pepper sliced or chopped
1 chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 small zucchinis chopped in bits the size of your thumb
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 large (about 30 oz) can stewed or diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 Tablespoon dried basil
1 can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 can white beans ( you pick, I like great northern)
Enough water to cover all your happy, colorful ingredients

In a large pot combine meats and spices along with the chopped onion and chopped celery.  When the meats have browned nicely add the chopped garlic and bell peppers.  When the peppers look like they are wilting add the rest of the ingredients.  I personally like to add the zucchini in the last hour of the crock pot stage if you are using a crock pot...if you are using a stove top pot I like adding it in the last few minutes leaving a little crunch to the zucchini.  Simmer on the stove top for 30 minutes or all day on low in your crock pot.




No comments:

Post a Comment